In October 2009 a joint stakeholder discussion forum was held in Gander which brought together senior labour and employer leaders from the municipal sector interested in exploring sector council development as a means to establishing a shared approach to improving health and safety and return to work practices across all municipalities in Newfoundland and Labrador.
This discussion forum resulted in the formation of the Municipal Governance Committee (MGC), a joint labour / employer stakeholder committee committed to leading a study process on behalf of the sector. The process will determine whether a municipal sector safety council is an appropriate approach to assist municipalities with improving health and safety and return to work practices.
The Municipal Safety Council (MSCNL)was established 2010 is to be recognized as the leading authority of Occupational Health and Safety Services for the prevention of workplace injury, illness, disease and fatalities and the safe and timely return to work of injured workers in the Newfoundland and Labrador municipal sector.
MSCNL is a partnership of
- Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Labour (NLFL)
- Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador (MNL)
- Workplace Health and Safety Compensation Commission Province of NL (WHSCC)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Employers Council (NLEC)
- Government of NL through Departments of Municipal Affairs and Service NL
- Professional Municipal Administrators (PMA)
For more information on the Municipal Safety Council of Newfoundland and Labrador (MSCNL) you can visit their website here.